Saturday, January 30, 2010

Colossians Study (part 1)


So a few days ago (1-26-10) I began an in depth study on the book of Colossians. Since that day I have only gotten through the first 14 verses of the first chapter, due to studying each verse word for word, and in such depth. I want to encourage you to, if you are not already, to start reading your Bible everyday. It does not have to be much just a chapter a day or even a few verses, just to get Gods word in your life. If nothing is coming into our lives spiritually, nothing can come out spiritually. It would be like trying to get water from your sink, with the water turned off. So I really hope that you start picking up your Bible once a day and just reading a few verses from the richest and most thirst quenching thing on earth which is God and His Word.
But back to my Colossians study, I just want to share with you a few things that I have picked up on just from studying the first 14 verses of chapter one.
(V. 1-2) Paul designates himself as an apostle, and takes responsibility of the church in Colossae. The interesting thing about that to me is that Paul has never visited Colossae, and never even preached the gospel to the people there, yet he is taking responsibilty for the church there.
(V. 3-8) Paul thanks God for the Colossians and their expressions of faith, hope, and love. An interesting thing that I have picked up on is that Paul never thanks the people of the church at Colossae, he always thanks God Himself. Now Paul is in jail at the time of this letter being written. He has heard that a fellow servant by the name of Epaphras has preached the gospel to the people and that they have believed. One of the biggest thing that has stood out to me in my study of these verses comes in verse 4. Paul mentions the love for the saints. And I began thinking about the connection between loving the saints (fellow believers) and the gospel. I saw a connection between the two, then I began listening to a podcast by Matt Chandler where he was preaching on Colossians and he brough up the same connection. He said this, "Our trust in the Gospel is an inseperable link to loving the saints or body of believers". So if we really believe and trust in the true Gospel, we will also love our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, these two things are inseperable. Paul mentions in theses verses that the true gospel is spreading throughout the world and bearing good fruit.
(V. 9-14) Paul and Timothy (who is with Paul during this time) say that they have never ceased to pray (1 Thess. 5:17) for the people at Colossae after hearing they have received the gospel message. They ask for the Holy Spirit to fill the church at Colossae and guide them in understanding and knowledge of Gods will. Paul asks that God would give them strength in their walk of life and to bear good fruit. Paul again thanks God Himself for the work He is doing in Colossae. Paul mentions as believers, Christ has delievered us from darkness, defeated evil, and it has no dominion over us now. We are now a part of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ, and are now living in redemption (deliverance) and forgiveness of our sins.
I will continue posting blogs about Colossians as I continue my study of it. To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment